The online edition of Holt McDougal Literature includes not only audio and video but also hyperlinked vocabulary and point-of-use links for review, practice, remediation, and enrichment activities.
Teachers will save time with convenient access to preparation tools, including:
- Lesson planning
- Links to state-specific resources
- Professional development
Instruction is supported by online availability of:
- Printable selection and unit resources
- Electronic versions of all print resources, including Guide to English for Newcomers and Preparing for College and Career Success
- Teaching transparencies
- Answer keys
All the benefits of additional online-only resources, such as mini-sites, Level Up, Online Remediation, and Holt McDougal Online Assessment, are included in the online edition. Everything is easy to find through the browse and search functionality.
Online Editions Preview
Follow these steps to preview the Holt McDougal Literature Online Edition.
Go to preview.hrw.com
Enter Sample Word* and complete the user registration
* Contact your Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Account Executive for sample word
English Language Arts Common Core Solutions Teacher Site
Support for implementing the Common Core State Standards into everyday curricula is available at the English Language Arts Common Core Solutions website. Site resources that help teachers guide student mastery of the Standards include:
- Connections: Nonfiction for Common Core informational texts
- Interactive Whiteboard Lessons
- Links to HISTORY® resources, Newseum, and state-specific materials
Interactive Whiteboard Lessons
Correlated to the Common Core State Standards, Interactive Whiteboard Lessons focus on key skills for critical reading, literature, informational texts, writing, and language.
For the best user experience, teachers should access the whiteboard lessons with SMART Notebook® or SMART Notebook Express.
Figurative Language Imagery Lesson (22.1 MB)
About This Lesson (114 k)
Online Essay Scoring
Nothing can replace a teacher's thoughtful comments, but Holt McDougal Online Essay Scoring saves time by providing students with the practice and feedback they need to improve as writers and prepare for state assessment. Teachers can select from dozens of prompts for different types of writing assignments, including arguments, informational/explanatory texts, and narratives. Students receive an accurate score, based on either a four- or six-point scale, and detailed feedback for each category on the rubric.
Holt Professional Development for Language Arts
This website offers in-service and support to teachers anytime and anywhere.
- Fourteen professional learning videos. Holt McDougal program authors and consultants address the challenges of today's classrooms, including reaching struggling readers and using technology in the Language Arts classroom
- Handbook for new teachers
- Study guides for author publications
- Printable support, such as facilitation guides
- Relevant articles and research
Level Up Online Remediation
This multi-sensory tutoring program helps improve student mastery of literary and reading skills. Level Up diagnoses student strengths and weaknesses through a diagnostic exam and automatically assigns appropriate remediation tutorials.
A posttest allows teachers to easily track student progress. Teachers can also assign tutorials to their entire class, groups of students, or individuals to help support instruction and review skills.
HISTORY® and related logos are the property of A&E Television Networks (AETN). SMART Notebook® is a registered trademark of SMART Technologies.